Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Performance Management

Managing Performance

Armstrong and Baron (2004) famously stated that performance management is a process which contributes to the effective management of individuals and teams in order to achieve high levels of organisational performance. As such, it establishes shared understanding about what is to be achieved, and approach to leading and developing people which will ensure that it is achieved’.

Bucks New University measures student’s performance in a variety of ways. Tutors have to measure and manage students to ensure that their performance stays on the track. It often happens that students are distracted from university work due to the fact it is time in their life when people want to go to parties, meet with friends. This is why lecturers must follow all the time students’ achievements and results. The most important feature of this measurement is the feedback given on the assignment. The lecturers assess my performance with a feedback sheet which is attached when given results back. After student becomes aware of improvement if it is needed and advices how he could better perform. Other aspects for measurement are attendance and overall performance of the module/year. My personal tutor hasn’t assessed my performance due to the fact I haven’t had the need for any contact with him during my first year.

According to the Sunday Times (2008) an effective mentor should possess:
·         Listening skills
·         Team working skills
·         Good communication skills
·         Work experience and great knowledge
·         Enthusiasm to help while mentoring
·         Outgoing personality
·         Patience

In my opinion my mum has been a mentor to me even she still is nowadays. From the childhood, then education period and now during studies I have always consulted her when I wasn’t sure about what to do, which choice should I make. She has a great talent to easily encourage me to do the best step for me. I think she is a person whom experience I would like to achieve in the future. I feel she has got many of the features of the mentor. She is patient and open minded. She has always given my guidelines in the right direction. She has affected my life because she has taught me all the skills and knowledge I possess now.

Reference list:

Mullins, L. (2010) Management & Organisational Behaviour. 9th ed. Harlow: Prentice Hall.

The Sunday Times (2008) Entrepreneurs: a mentor can tune your skills [online]. Available from:

No comments:

Post a Comment